6 Signs You Need to Call the Electrician

Electricity is one of the necessities in our homes nowadays. It is also one of the utilities that one cannot do a quick fix on given the huge amounts of risks that it poses. People often get injured or killed trying to fix electrical problems in their houses, something that you should desist from trying. Some electrical problems develop and deteriorate with time while others occur abruptly. In either case, you should call an electrician to have a comprehensive checkup of your electrical connections to have the issue resolved. Fortunately, there are some warning signs that when seen should trigger you to call an electrician with immediate effect. Here are 6 of them.

 

Frequent power outages in your house

 

Whereas power outages can often be caused by problems in the main supply line in your area, instances where outages occur in your home alone should immediately tell you that there is a technical problem in the electrical connectivity in your house. Such outages can be caused by triggering of the circuit breakers more often, something that indicates that there could be a short circuit or overload in appliances connected to the mains. It is always important to call an electrician and not try to achieve a self-diagnosis.

 

Dimmed or flickering lights

 

Dimming or flickering lights may be caused by various instances of poor and loose connections in your house. Such lights pose a major risk to lives as they may result in electrical fires or cause appliances attached to electrical power to blow out. They are also caused by instances of a misalignment of the electrical connection where the electrical line that supports the lights is attached to the one that supports heavy appliances which draw out large electrical currents. Consulting an electrician to do a comprehensive checkup of the system would be the best option.

 

Suspicious odors

 

At times, appliances connected to an electrical connection in your house can produce a melting-plastic odor. Such an odor is also an indication that some electrical cables could be overheating and causing the plastic insulation to melt. Such could be caused by a melted fuse box, an overload in the wiring, or a blown-out appliance that is overheating. If unchecked, such a fault could lead to electrical fires.

 

Frequently tripped circuit breakers and blown fuses

 

Fuse and circuit breakers are the first line of defense in any electrical system. Instances where they are triggered imply a major overload was averted in your circuit. Whereas this may happen once in a long time, situations where they are triggered and blown regularly imply that there could be a major problem in your circuits, one that needs to be checked with immediacy. Failure to institute a checkup would leave your connection and house highly vulnerable.

 

Warm outlets and switches

 

Switches that are warm to the touch are an indication of a major problem in the manner wiring has been done. A warm feeling on the outlets could also be a warning sign of a bigger electrical problem where the risk of fire could be high. Also, some sockets, though plastic, tend to induce a mild shock-feeling when touched. When you experience such, it is best not to touch anything else and call an electrician with immediate effect.

 

Regular blow up of appliances in the house

 

Some appliances are not protected by fuses. They, therefore, tend to blow up whenever plugged in the mains electricity. Whereas such a problem may occur once in a while, a persistent blow-up of electrical appliances can imply a major issue with the current or voltage used in the house. Besides appliances, some extension cables blow or melt when connected in sockets. This could be indicative of a larger problem such as the use of inappropriate fuses which cannot regulate current. Calling the electrician would save you money that would otherwise go into often replacing the appliances.

 

Electrical connections in the house are so technical that it is impossible to fix on your own. Before a major catastrophe hits you regarding electrical connections, there are some warning signs that would always warn you. The risk of being shocked should scare you enough to abandon do-it-yourself initiatives and call the electrician with immediate effect.

Follow Us

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *