Many of us feel like we have the entire world at our fingertips with the many social media platforms available to us these days. From Facebook to Twitter, and now Instagram as well, people are connecting with one another online more than ever before. However, while these sites make it easy for users to upload photos and share them with friends worldwide, they also offer some challenges that users must consider before uploading images or videos. Is there an option to set your profile so that only your friends can see it when you look at their Instagram profile? More importantly, do other users know when you look at their profile? When you look at someone’s Instagram profile, can they tell? These are all important considerations before uploading any images or videos to a social media platform.
Can People See When You Look At Their Instagram?
No. People cannot see when you are looking at their Instagram profile. Instagram recently changed the layout of their profile so that it is no longer possible to see when someone is looking at your profile. If you want to know if someone is looking at your profile, the only way to know is to ask them directly or check their activity feed for mutual followers or mutual friends (which is not possible to see).
How To Find Out If People Can See When You Look At Their Instagram?
- Go to their Instagram page.
- Click the three dots on the top right of their page.
- Click “About.”
- Look for the line that says “Followers you follow.” If it says “Followers Following You,” then they can see when you look at their Instagram!
Why Should You Care Whether Or Not They Know?
Knowing is half the battle
If you don’t let people know that you have a job, then you will be missing out on some very important benefits and privileges! For example, if you’re searching for an apartment to rent and want to list yourself as a “tenant,” but you’re not disclosing that you have a steady income, then the landlord might deny you simply because they might assume you’re more likely to skip out on the rent. For that matter, if you’re in a relationship with someone and you don’t disclose that you’re gainfully employed, then you’re setting yourself up for some awkward conversations and potential misunderstandings. If your partner wonders how you’re affording the necessities of life and you don’t disclose that you have a job, then you’re opening yourself up to questions that you might not want to answer. Likewise, if you don’t disclose that you have a job and your friends want to help you out financially, then they might not offer to help because they might not know how they can help.
Knowing helps you land a job you love
There are plenty of reasons why you might want to change jobs, but there are also plenty of reasons why you might want to stay put. For example, if you love the culture of your current job and you also love your co-workers, then maybe you don’t want to pursue a job change. On the other hand, if you don’t love your job and you would love to find a different career path, then you might want to start the job-search process as soon as possible. But how do you begin? If you’ve been out of the job-search game for a while, then you might not be familiar with how the job-search process works in 2018. Fortunately, there are lots of resources available to help you navigate the process.
Knowing protects your professional reputation.
There are a few things that every professional should never do. One of those things is not disclosing that you have a job. If you don’t disclose that you have a job, then you are essentially branding yourself as someone who doesn’t want to work. Now, why would you ever want to do that? If you don’t disclose that you have a job and someone offers you a job, then you might not be able to take it. For example, if you’ve been living with your parents and you don’t disclose that you have a job, then someone who offers you a job might assume that you’re unable to move out on your own. Likewise, if you don’t disclose that you have a job and someone else is considering hiring you on a contract basis, then you might not get the job because the other person might assume that you don’t have enough work to do it.
Knowing helps you avoid awkward situations and uncomfortable conversations.
Not disclosing that you have a job might make your co-workers feel like you’re not pulling your weight. If you don’t disclose that you have a job and you use your friends’ money to pay for things, then they might start to get suspicious. Likewise, if you don’t disclose that you have a job and someone offers to help you financially, then you might have to explain why you don’t want or can’t accept the help. Not disclosing that you have a job might also make your romantic relationships more complicated. If you don’t disclose that you have a job and you earn money, then your partner might wonder why you’re not contributing financially.
Knowing helps you prevent loss of income, which is a big deal!
If you don’t disclose that you have a job, then you might lose it. For example, if you don’t disclose that you have a job and get into a car accident, your insurance company might not cover your injuries because they won’t know that you have an income. Or, if you don’t disclose that you have a job and you get sick, then your healthcare provider might not treat your illness because they won’t know that you have an income. For that matter, if you don’t disclose that you have a job and you have a romantic partner, then your partner might try to help you financially even if you don’t want them to.
When People Can See When You Look At Their Instagram?
- Instagram does not offer a way for users to control whether or not other users can see when they look at their profiles. Therefore, if you are looking at another user’s Instagram profile, they will know and may feel uncomfortable in the situation.
- There are a few exceptions to this rule, however. If you are logged into your account on the web, you can look at the profiles of users who do not have a web profile.
- If the user is following you, you can look at their profile even if you are not logged into your account. If you are in the user’s “following” or “followers” list, you can look at their profile regardless of whether or not you are logged into your account.
What Can You Do To Protect Privacy On Instagram?
- Now that you know how Instagram works, you can take steps to protect your privacy on the platform. First, you should avoid looking at other users’ profiles unless you know that they are following you or in your “following” list.
- If you do decide to look at another user’s profile, try not to do so too often. If you look at other users’ profiles too often, they may start to feel uncomfortable.
- Once you have seen all of the photos that you wanted to see, you should log out of your account to avoid being logged in when you view other users’ profiles.
- If you want to look at other users’ profiles, but do not want them to know that you did so, you can do so from the web version of Instagram. This way, you can view other users’ profiles without them knowing.
Instagram is a fun and easy way to share photos and videos with your friends and family around the world. With so many people using the platform, it is important to know how the platform works so that you can protect your privacy while still enjoying its many benefits. If you are looking at another user’s Instagram profile, they will know. However, you can avoid this situation by logging into your account on the web, following the users whose profiles you want to view or viewing the profiles of users who have a web profile. If you follow these tips, you can enjoy the benefits of Instagram with complete privacy.