You can’t rent an apartment, drive a car, or get a job without proving your identity. Those proofs of identity almost always require a government-issued ID card with a person’s photograph, name, and other identifying information such as date of birth and address. Another document you need to prove your identity is an identification card that allows you to enter bars or nightclubs where you will be expected to show proof of age. So what are your options if you don’t have a driver’s license and don’t want to risk getting carded? Well, the good news is that there are plenty of companies online whose sole purpose is helping people buy fake IDs. But the bad news is that while it isn’t illegal to buy one, it may be against the law in your state to use one – at least under certain circumstances. Keep reading for more details about whether it’s legal to own a fake ID and where you can use one if it is legal!
Is It Illegal To Buy A Fake Id?
It all depends on the country and the fake id you are buying. In some countries, it is illegal to buy a fake id. In others, it is illegal to use a fake id. And in others, both buying and using a fake id is illegal. So, it all depends on the country.
Why Is It Illegal To Use A Fake ID?
1. It’s a Crime
Using a fake ID is a crime. It is also a federal offense to make, sell, or own fake IDs. If you are caught using a fake ID at a bar or liquor store, you will likely be arrested. A fake ID is considered burglary because it is a form of trespassing, and it is a Class A misdemeanor. If you are caught a second time, the charge is upgraded to a felony. When you use a fake ID, you are entering into a contract of dishonesty, and you may find that it is very difficult to extricate yourself from this situation. Filing for a charge reduction may not be possible depending on the severity of the crime, but there are steps you can take to mitigate the damage this has caused. It is important to hire a lawyer who understands how to handle these situations so you can properly mitigate the damage.
2. You Can Be Sent to Jail
Using a fake ID can get you sent to jail, especially if you are using it to steal another person’s identity. There are many stories of people who have used fake IDs to try and get out of debt. Other times, people use fake IDs to avoid court-ordered payments. Some people even use fake IDs to open and close bank accounts. If you are caught, you can be charged with fraud, and this can lead to jail time. There are even reports of people being sent to prison for 20 years for using a fake ID in order to vote. Using a false identity to vote is a crime and can be punished with up to five years in prison and $250,000 in fines.
3. Your Credit will be Damaged
When you use a fake ID, you are making a false promise to pay. While it may be tempting to use your friend’s parents’ credit card to buy a nice piece of furniture, you need to understand that you are damaging their credit. When you use a credit card, you are responsible for paying it off. If you don’t, the credit card company will take you to court and attempt to collect the money they are owed. When you use your friend’s parents’ credit card, you promise to pay that money back. If you don’t, they will sue you. If they win the lawsuit, the court will put a lien on your house. When you use a fake credit card to buy furniture and don’t pay it off, it will be recorded as a default on your credit report. This default will stay on your credit report for seven years and will make it more difficult to buy a house or a car in the future.
4. Employers will Run Background Checks
Many people who use fake IDs do so because they are underage and are looking for a job. Unfortunately, this means that you will often be caught and fired. When you use a false identity, you are committing fraud. And these days, employers are often checking your credit report when you apply for a job. If there is a fraud alert on your report, it can make it more difficult to find a job. It is also important to understand that using a fake ID can also violate your employment contract. This can cost you your job and make it difficult to find another one in the future.
Is It Illegal To Buy And Use A Fake ID To Get Into A Bar Or Club?
- If you get caught using a fake ID to get into a bar or a nightclub, you can expect to be turned away, and the bartender or bouncer may call the police and report it.
- In most cases, you won’t be arrested on the spot, but you will have to go back outside and wait in line again. If you go to the same bar again and try to use your fake ID again, you will almost certainly be arrested, charged with a crime, and have a criminal conviction on your record.
- If you use a fake ID to get into a bar and then you commit a separate, unrelated crime inside the bar, you could be charged with felony fraud for using the fake ID.
Is It Legal To Use A Fake ID Just To Get Into An Alcoholic Beverage Venue?
- As we mentioned above, using a fake ID to get into a bar or other liquor-serving establishment is a crime in all 50 states. However, there is one exception:
- If you are at a place that only serves beer, there is no law against using a fake ID to get in. There are a few reasons for this. For starters, underage people typically don’t drink hard liquor (although some do).
- In addition, it would be very difficult and costly for a bar owner to install the equipment necessary to check the veracity of a driver’s license via a government database.
- However, many beer-only establishments will use an ID-checking service, so if you try to use a fake ID to get in, you will almost certainly be turned away.
Where You Can’t Use A Fake ID Legally?
- As we mentioned above, you can’t use a fake ID to get into a bar or other liquor-serving establishment that serves hard alcohol in all 50 states. However, it is very easy to be turned away if you try to use a fake ID in one of these states:
- Alabama – No one under the age of 21 is allowed to enter an Alabama bar or nightclub.
- Arizona – The Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control issues licenses for alcohol retailers. If someone under the age of 21 attempts to purchase alcohol, they will be asked for proof that they are old enough to drink. If they cannot produce valid identification, the sale will be denied.
- Arkansas – Any person who attempts to buy alcohol in Arkansas must have proof of their age provided by a parent or legal guardian. A minor who tries buying alcohol without proper identification can be charged with underage drinking and/or consumption without parental consent. Minors are not allowed to purchase alcoholic beverages
- without parental consent.
- California – Underage drinkers are not allowed to buy alcoholic beverages in California. If they do, they will be arrested by the police and face a fine as well as possible jail time.
- Connecticut – Connecticut has one of the strictest laws in the country when it comes to underage drinking and minors are not allowed to purchase alcohol without a special permit. If someone under age 18 purchases alcohol without proof of age, they will be fined. In addition, minors who are caught buying alcohol can be charged with underage drinking and could face other serious penalties such as community service or even jail time.
- Delaware – Delaware does not allow anyone under the age of 21 to purchase alcoholic beverages for themselves or for another person. Minors who attempt to do so can be charged with underage consumption and could face other penalties such as community service or fines up to $1,000 per violation.
The Bottom Line
When you use a fake ID, you’re asking for trouble. You are committing fraud or forgery against the person whose name is on the ID, whether it’s a state government or a college or university. You’re also breaking the law against underage drinking or misrepresenting yourself to gain employment. If you use a fake ID, you risk getting caught, arrested, charged with a crime, and having a criminal record that could follow you for the rest of your life. If you don’t have identification and you are of legal drinking age, you can always go to a bar or a liquor store and buy a beverage with cash.