Everyone has heard the saying, “If at first, you don’t succeed, attempt again tomorrow.” While this may be a good general rule when it comes to getting what you want in life, it doesn’t always apply in certain situations. If you know exactly why your cold drink is making you cough then there is probably hope for all of us! If you’re like many Americans, chances are you’ve heard about the “Cough Season” by now. The cold season typically hits between December and March, with around 80 million Americans suffering from it each year. What’s more, the epidemics that follow in the late-winter months are often among the most severe.
Why Do Cold Drinks Make Me cough?
Cold drinks are often associated with Cod Liver Oil (CLO) pills because they are taken to help reduce fever. However, the truth is that there is no scientific basis for this claim. In fact, cold drinks are often full of harmful chemicals and can even cause coughing.
Why Does My Cold Drink Make Me Cough?
- The carbon dioxide in the drink can irritate the throat and cause coughing. Carbon dioxide is a gas that is present in all liquids, including water. When you drink carbonated drinks, there is a build-up of gas in your stomach and intestines. This change in the amount of gas produced by your body causes an increase in pressure, which leads to pain and discomfort for many people. This pain can also cause coughing because it makes it difficult for you to swallow.
- The excessive use of alcohol can lead to a condition known as “hangover” or “disequilibrium” when blood levels of alcohol are reduced too quickly causing dizziness, headache, and nausea or vomiting. Although drinking alcohol will not make you cough, it can cause headaches and nausea because the blood levels of alcohol are lowered too quickly by the liver. It is important to note that this hangover effect only occurs when you consume large amounts of alcohol over an extended period of time.
- There are some people who have long-term problems with their throats that make them more likely to experience coughing fits after consuming cold beverages such as wine and beer. Some people experience this problem after drinking just one glass!
- Cold drinks contain high concentrations of sugar which can be irritating to sensitive parts of the mouth like teeth and gums. Also, carbonation may be irritating to the throat if it is not properly dissolved in your mouth(6).
- The acidity of the drink can cause damage to the lining of the mouth and throat. The acidity of carbonated drinks can also irritate the stomach, which may cause you to feel nauseous.
- Cold drinks contain a higher concentration of sugar than warm drinks. Therefore, drinking a cold drink will make you feel more hungry because your body does not need to use its energy-producing systems as much as it would when drinking a warm beverage. This makes you more likely to eat unhealthy foods like candy and chips after having a cold drink. Additionally, because alcohol is contained in many cold drinks, it may lead to an increase in blood alcohol levels and an increase in intoxication.
- Lastly, one study showed that people who were asked to consume carbonated beverages orally were less likely to remember their names than those who were asked not to consume carbonated beverages orally. Although this study was done on college students, there are many other studies that have shown similar results. So what’s the conclusion? Cold drinks are bad for your health! If you want to feel good, don’t drink them!
How To Stop Getting A Coughing Spell?
- Drink warm water. This is a very simple way to stop coughing. Simply drink a lot of warm water in one day You will notice that you will not be coughing as much.
- Try to avoid drinking carbonated beverages. Carbonation is used to make cold drinks more refreshing, but it also irritates the throat and can cause coughing spells. There are many different types of cold drinks that do not contain carbonation, which makes them much more enjoyable to drink.
- Eat something. Sometimes, when you are having a cough, you may feel like you want something to eat but cannot think of what it is that you want to eat. If this happens, then do not worry about it! You can always eat some fruit or some rice before bedtime. This will give your body enough time for the food to digest and for your stomach to be at its most comfortable state before sleeping at night(19).
- Drink alcohol with meals. Alcohol has been shown in studies to help your body adjust back to its natural state of sleep after being awake for too long. Therefore, if you drink alcohol with your meals, then it may help relieve your cough and may make you fall asleep quicker than usual while still keeping up with your daily routines!
- Avoid taking aspirin and other pain relievers when having a cough or cold. These types of medications can cause irritation to the throat and will make you cough even more often.
- Take a warm bath before going to bed if you have a cold. A warm bath will help loosen up the mucus in your nose and throat, which may make it easier for your body to breathe normally.
- Drink hot chocolate when you have a cold and cough(25). This is because hot chocolate contains caffeine, which can help stop coughing.
- Stay away from smokers! When someone smokes, it causes the air to be filled with all kinds of chemicals that irritate your lungs and throat. If you want to feel better, then stay away from smokers!
What Is The Disadvantage Of A Cold Drink?
- It gives you a temporary feeling of being better, but it can make your symptoms worse.
- The cold drink will make you feel even more thirsty.
- You may miss your daily schedule if you drink cold drinks.
- Coughing is not good for your throat, so drinking cold drinks can worsen the situation and lead to more serious problems in the future.
What Is The Advantage Of A Cold Drink?
- Drinking a cold drink can help you feel better because it can help to relieve your cough.
- Drinking a cold drink will make you feel much more refreshed because it will make your throat and nose feel fresher as opposed to drinking a hot drink.
- Drinking a cold drink will not dehydrate you as much as drinking hot drinks because they contain less water than hot drinks.
- Drinking a cold drink may make you feel much more energized than drinking hot drinks because the caffeine in them can give you energy.
- Drinking a cold drink may help your throat be less irritated. Because the liquid in the drink does not stay in your throat for very long, then it is less likely to cause any irritation.
Chronic cough is a common condition that plagues many individuals during the cold season. It is often due to allergies, upper respiratory infections, or other illnesses. The best way to prevent a cold is to stay healthy and balanced. Monitor your hygiene and avoid overindulgence in any form of alcohol or other drinks with a high concentration of carbonation.